Friday, November 19, 2010

Love is pure

Something that has always fascinated me in this world is the feeling of "love".  I don't honestly think I have experienced this easily in my lifetime.  When you grow up abused, you develop walls and armor that protect you from pain.  It's simply a survival mechanism that God implants in you.  It just happens.  To truly love means that you risk devastation....you risk a broken heart.  You open yourself up to a vulnerability that is similar to nothing else.   Who in the hell in their right might would go there?????

Me.  

I have come to realize that it is quite possibly the truth that we are wired to love.  The bible is clear about this 
In 1 John 4:8 it says "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."  This does not speak well for those of us who are closed off to love.  TRUE love, PURE love.   The Bible helps us to know what " love" should look like too.  In 1 Corinthians it tells us that "Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 

I came to understand this first with my children.  I had cried over men before I had children but I would not call whatever I felt for them "love".  When I read Corinthians, my first thought is how I feel about Jake, Charlie and Rachel.  They taught me that this can exist.  That this feeling of "love" that is wonderfully protective and kind and giving.  

As I've gotten older, I've gotten better at "love".  I have gotten better at that unselfish kind of love that is giving and so very nurturing to someone else.  I enjoy opening my heart to someone else.  Its almost as if I can't NOT do it.  If I am to be with God, I am to be with Love and if I am to be with Love, my cup runneth over and I share it with others.  This was God's intention.  This was God's plan.  

And I am blessed.

1 comment: